Business Acumen for Artists
Business Acumen for Artists (BAA) is a short course that has been designed to teach artists the basics of business so that creative professionals can sustainably create and run their own creative enterprises. Run for the last twelve years at UCT’s Graduate School of Business, 2019 signals a new home for BAA at the Cape Town Creative Academy for this life- changing and transformative programme.
BAA runs once a week in the evenings over 13 weeks. Delegates develop key business skills from how to manage their finances to negotiating decisively when pitching a product and pricing an idea.
This is a profound and practical investment for artists and creative professionals who will emerge more confident about their creatively commercial aspirations and be much better equipped to work creatively without being as vulnerable to exploitation.
The course is practical in nature. After all, the power in entrepreneurship is the “ship” part. Without a product or service to take into the world as an offering, it remains at the level of a dream. BAA works with each creative to hone and develop their offering into something which can be shipped and sold by the end of the programme. The course will culminate in a formal pitch of the idea that you have developed and concretised into a viable business offering on the programme. Delegates will be taught a product/service generating methodology which will help them concretise their idea into a sustainable offering by the end of the programme.
- Understand the language of business.
- Learn to manage your finances to market yourself more effectively.
- Understand how to price a product or service.
- Be able to negotiate decisively when pitching your product and pricing your work.
- Translate your work into a viable product or service.
- Explore your own leadership and negotiation style.
- Create and finalise a creative entrepreneurial plan.
- Peer mentoring for support and feedback.
- Understand budgeting and cash flow.
- Network and learn from other creative professionals.
- Explore web-based strategies for personal branding and convergence.
- Monetise your offering online.
- Develop a marketing strategy on a shoestring.
- Develop a sales and prospecting mindset.
- Build a community of practice.
Presented at the Cape Town Creative Academy at the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock.
Time: Monday evenings from 18:00 – 21:00
Dates: 26 August – 02 December 2019
Application deadline: 23 August 2019
Tuition fee: R7 500.00
Is this course for me?
Are you a Creative e.g. singer, actor, designer, director, photographer, poet, jeweller, ceramicist or illustrator who has been wanting to start their own business but has been held back because you do not understand or are intimidated by the language of Business? Are you a freelance creative who is in the process of establishing a career in the field of music, digital media, visual arts, theatre, film or literature and would benefit from a community of support and knowing how to pitch ideas, price products and negotiate successfully when it comes to shipping your offering?